As a parent, you want your child to grow up to be healthy, strong, and happy. However, teeth can be a cause for concern. The changes they undergo, as baby teeth emerge through the gums and, later, fall out, can be confronting for a parent.
Similarly, the heightened risk of tooth decay among children can have many parents asking: how to ensure my toddler or child has healthy baby teeth?
What children’s teeth issues should I be aware of?
- Thumb sucking. This can affect the way the teeth grow, and lead to the development of an overbite.
- Tooth decay. Children’s teeth are softer and more prone to tooth decay.
- Gum disease. This results from built-up plaque around the gumline. It can result in bleeding or sore gums.
- Shark teeth. This is where adult teeth start to grow before the baby teeth have fallen out, resulting in two rows of teeth.
- Ulcers or canker sores. This is usually a product of poor dental hygiene.
- Dental trauma. As your child plays, they are sometimes at risk of dental trauma such as tooth cracking, a chipped tooth, or other damage.
What can I do at home to keep my child’s teeth healthy?
- Supervise your child’s brushing habits, making sure they brush twice a day.
- Make sure they don’t eat again after brushing at night.
- Keep their diet healthy, high in calcium, and low in sugar.
- Keep them hydrated with water, which may also contain tooth-strengthening fluoride.
- Observe for any issues by regularly examining your child’s teeth.
How early should I take my child to the dentist?
It is generally advised by your dentist near me, dentist Neutral Bay, or dental clinic Neutral Bay that you bring in your child for their first dental check-up when they are a year old, or when their first baby tooth begins to emerge from the gums.
Your child may initially find their experience at the dentist strange or uncomfortable, but fortunately your North Sydney dentist or Neutral Bay dentist are skilled in making your child comfortable during their visit. Our facility has plenty of features to make your child comfortable, and our dentists will talk in a friendly manner and explain things to your child in positive terms.
Here are some benefits of visiting your dentist to ensure your child has healthy teeth:
- Your dentist Neutral Bay can answer your questions and give you confidence you’re doing the right thing.
- A dental surgery near me can detect small issues that you might miss when examining your child’s tooth, and prevent them from developing into more serious issues.
- Treatments such as fluoride treatment or fissure sealants at your dentist near me or dentist Neutral Bay can help to keep your children’s teeth in good condition.
- Your child will develop a healthy attitude towards visiting their Neutral Bay dental clinic.