Unlike adults, children experience much oral development as they grow older. First they have their baby teeth come through (this may start at around 6 to 12 months), then they will lose those baby teeth (often around the age of 6), and then they will start to gain their adult teeth (this is generally complete by age 12 or 13).
Because there is so much happening in these younger years, it is likely that your child will experience some sort of issue along the way. It is important that you address problems as soon as they arise, rather than hoping they fix themselves, because the best dentists in Neutral Bay may be able to stop the issue from escalating.
As trusted dentists near me, we believe that all oral pain warrants a visit to a North Sydney dentist. At the Dental Sanctuary, we can even cater for emergency dentist bookings if you or your child is suffering from immense pain and discomfort. We are popular family dentists, so we know how to make your child feel comfortable and safe while their mouth is being examined.
When should you take your child to see a dentist?
Just like adults, children should be visiting a dentist every six months at minimum. It is particularly important for children to regularly see their local dentist so their tooth development can be assessed and forecasted. If any of the below points are occurring for you, you should definitely book a dentist appointment for your child:
- They haven’t visited a dentist in six months or more.
- Their baby teeth or adult teeth aren’t erupting – for baby teeth, this should start before their first birthday, and for the adult teeth, this should start when they are 6-8 years old.
- They are complaining of pain in or around their mouth – even minor pain can indicate that something problematic is happening, or is going to happen soon.
- They have broken a tooth by falling or crashing into it.
- They have blood coming from inside the mouth.
- Their adult teeth are erupting at poor angles – although minorly crooked tooth may not cause issues now, it could become problematic in the future.
- They are struggling to eat or drink because of their teeth.
- You’re interested in teeth realignment treatment and orthodontic services for your child.
If you are worried about your child, but aren’t sure whether to book an appointment or not, you can contact our dental clinic in North Sydney. Our friendly Neutral Bay dentists will be able to answer some initial questions over the phone to understand what is happening with your child.
Because we are an experienced dental clinic, we understand all aspects of children’s dentistry North Sydney and can provide tailored care options to assist your family. Get in touch with the Dental Sanctuary team on facebook to find out more information today .